Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Ensuing Darkness by Alexis Cain


Ensuing Darkness by Alexis Cain
Book Description by Goodreads: "The small town of Maxville, Colorado is harboring more secrets than Kota imagined. There is a new family in town, one with a cover and dark secrets. They have a mission: Get in, do the job, and get out, but when their youngest get mixed up in a taboo romance, things get nasty. Kota finds herself surrounded by everything she never knew existed, and the blame is all on her when she puts her friends and family in danger to discover a truth she was never supposed to see."

My Reaction: I absolutely loved Ensuing Darkness. The plot was interesting, the characters well-developed, and they had me laughing and crying along with me. Kota, to me, was exactly as a heroine should be strong, independent, and likable. Connelly seemed like a well-developed and not stereotypical male lead. He wasn’t egotistical and he tried to protect Kota without being controlling. Their relationship was more “believable.” They didn’t need to be together every second of the day like some other books will have their couples do. The siblings were all amusing, I loved them all and would not be upset to see books going into more details about them *****HINT HINT****. The secondary relationship of Ivan and Sue was sooo sweet and the “event” (don’t want to spoil anything) that happend to Sue made my heart break for her. Allister and Vincent made me laugh out loud. As far as the action goes, it was well detailed and was a nice balance to the romance. It was interesting the way Alexis Cain approached the vampire trend going on right now. I think she definitely has a new and enjoyable way of portraying her vampires. I give this book 4 and a half stars because although the book clearly leaves off for a sequel, I feel like this could have been done without just feeling like you’re missing a chapter.
Complete Side Note: Because I have no idea if this was just the format on my kindle but the  lines were spaced out oddly and the title and author’s name appeared throughout the book randomly for example,
           “only to find that class had apparently
            Ensuing Darkness
            already started.”
But I could ignore this problem as I began more engrossed in the novel. :)
Overall: (4.5/5) Overall I really enjoyed this novel. I felt like it was a refreshing take on "high school girl falls in love with a vampire." I truly do hope that a sequel will be arriving soon because I cannot wait to read more about Kota and Connelly and if the cliff hanger ending does not remain the way it left (again don't want to spoil anything). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment about this post or whatever :)
Thanks for reading and commenting.