Thursday, April 11, 2013

Becoming Red by Jess Raven & Paula Black




Description from Goodreads.com: ‘You got me back. You always said you would.’



Ash DeMorgan, graduate, orphan, ice maiden, has long since consigned the fairytale nightmares of a troubled childhood to the realm of fantastical childish imagination.

Now, lured back to Dublin, the scene of her tragic past, Ash encounters a city pulsing under the dangerous sexual influence of a new street drug the locals call Rave. Nothing is as it seems. Ash is about to discover that her nightmares are real, ancient Irish myths are larger than life and roaming the streets of the medieval city, and she has become the prey in their erotic hunt. A step back into her past is about to become a high adrenaline race for survival.

Connal Savage, outcast, assassin, and living, breathing hunk of ancient mythology, has lived a thousand years servicing a debt of revenge. Dead inside. Until he encounters his boss’s granddaughter, an infuriating woman who threatens to lead him to hell with all his good intentions, who manages to chip away at the hard encrusted defences of a lifetime spent at war and burrow herself deep into a part of him that hasn’t breathed for centuries. He is about to discover that when it comes down to the wire, when you’re bargaining with the Grim Reaper for the life of the one you love, you will do anything... 


My Thoughts: About Becoming Red...if I'm being perfectly honest I had a little trouble getting into this book. It had many elements that I enjoy in books such as, wolves and romance. I also liked the hint of the little Red Riding Hood fairly tale. I am really interested in Ireland and mythology so it was a pleasant surprise to have them woven in and be the main focus of the novel. The only complaint I have about it is that the mythology was a little difficult for me to keep straight in my head...I was a little confused about the back story of the Raveners and the other creatures. The authors do provide a glossary at the end, which I found very useful.

The novel starts out with Ash in college and an unusual feeling overcomes her. She eventually ends up in Dublin to take care of her grandmother's house where she meets a dangerous, yet sexy man, Connal. Connal has known Ash's grandmother for a very, very long time, and works for her. For reasons explained in the book, and possible spoilers, Connal and Ash must fight their attraction and then to stay together because of other people and forces trying to come between and hurt them.

Overall: (3.5/4) I did like this novel even though the back story and mythology was a little difficult to keep track of, but that's probably just me. :) The fairytale touches and nicknames between Ash and Connal were very cute and I loved them together. Ash slightly angered me at the very beginning because she was jumping to conclusions about Connal and his behavior. I would give this book a 3.5-4 because I did really enjoy it and admire the authors work in creating this. I would read a sequel if one is coming out now that I understand some of the mythology that Raven and Black have created.

Click:Becoming Red on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment about this post or whatever :)
Thanks for reading and commenting.