Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Missy Jane's Day Shift

Author: Missy Jane
TitleDay Shift
Published: November 2011 (first published 2009)
Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal

Description from Goodreads.com: "The sun's not the only thing that's too hot to handle.

President Vardin isn’t the first vampire politician to make empty promises. Humans can work at night, he says. Humans will be safe on the streets, he says. It’s all bull. I’m still stuck on day shift at Langley’s Round The Clock Emporium, trying to earn enough to live from night to night.

If I thought the sun’s harsh rays had turned society upside down, watch what happens when I witness a murder in the alley. The police keep bombarding me with questions until a detective with a bad attitude walks in and takes over. He’s unbelievably hot, way out of my league, and way, way out of my comfort zone. Because he’s the one thing I fear most. A vampire.

Then I learn why the police seem so interested in me. My ex-husband is drawing a series of murders in his new comics. I’m in every one of them, and it looks like I’m supposed to be the last victim. The detective’s interest in my past—and his protective instincts—are bordering on unprofessional, but I can’t seem to bring myself to care.

Because the last place I should want to be is the safest place on earth…a vampire’s embrace.

Warning: If you like your vampires sparkly and emotional, don’t read this book. It contains an overworked, underpaid, bloodsucking hero who might break your heart."


ReviewDay Shift started off with a great start explaining the world that Zaria lives in and her aversion to vampires. In her world vampires have taken over but coexist with humans. One day at work Zaria witnesses a crime and meets Detective Gregory Parsons who just so happens to be a vampire. Through other crimes that Greg investigates, Zaria's ex husband becomes a suspect and a wanted man. Greg vows to do whatever it takes to protect her and the two develop feelings for each other. Through the investigation and more crimes Zaria discovers something about Greg that threatens their relationship. 
   I consider myself a vampire connoisseur as I love all things vampire and most books about them. I liked that the vampires in the novel where more modern vampires in that they are able to walk in the sunlight with no problem and they can be around humans with minimal issue. However, the paranormal aspect seemed underplayed and it felt like the fact that some of the characters are vampires only comes up when someone is being murdered. Similarly the relationship between the hero and heroine seemed tense and forced to me. The stressful situation that they are involved in added to the tension which causes the relationship aspect of the novel to not be as strong as it could be in my opinion. Despite these things Day Shift is an enjoyable novel that I would recommend because the plot was very interesting and well executed. I give the novel a 3.5 out of 5 stars because it was good but could have been better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment about this post or whatever :)
Thanks for reading and commenting.