Monday, October 28, 2013

Ecliptic Review

Title: Ecliptic

Author: Sara Lunardi

Series: Ecliptic Saga #1

Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy, slight Romance

Publish Date: October 10, 2013

Length: 367 pages

Format: paperback, ebook

_________________________________________________

Description (From Amazon): "Have you ever wondered what the signs of the zodiac really are, and why they have influence on all human beings?" Alex asked us out of the blue. Was he kidding? What did this question have to do with our situation?

On the night of 13th June 2035, during an exceptional shower of shooting stars seen all over the world, mysterious signs representing zodiac constellations appear on the shoulders of Izie De Rossi and her twin brother Sam, two ordinary teenagers living in London.

From that night on, the lives of the twins will never be the same. A cruel countdown begins, leading them to fight for the survival of the entire human race alongside extraordinary creatures of the zodiac endowed with supernatural powers, the Guardians.

In the midst of all the dangers and sacrifices forced upon her by her mission, Izie meets the handsome and mysterious Riley. She feels immediately drawn to him in a shocking and overwhelming way...but things are not always as they seem.

My Review: Ecliptic is an incredible scifi/fantasy novel that focuses on astrology (which I love). Twins Izie and Sam live ordinary lives with their friend Ben until all three begin to develop powers on the 13th of June. This date is very important because it corresponds with information given in a prophecy. The twins eventually find out that they are Guardians of the zodiac sign Libra.

The novel follows two plot lines that eventually merge together. Both lines involve people who are learning and dealing with the powers that they have developed. Also, along the way the twins and some other Guardians learn that not all the Guardians of the zodiac are "good guys." They must fight against other Guardians who attempt to use the unique powers for their own gain.

The ending of the novel, before the epilogue, almost gave me a heart attack and I was going to be very upset with the way it ended. If the novel had ended without the epilogue there would have been a massive cliff hanger. The story still does end in a cliff but it is nowhere near as devastating as the one before the epilogue would have been.

Aside from a few grammatical errors and at one point I think the narration switches from third to first person, and back again, I think Ecliptic is a very well written novel. I loved the action scenes and the characters all felt real. Their emotions were beautifully described and I felt sympathy and anger along with them. The relationship between Izie and Riley seemed a little rushed but I guess when you're fighting for your life there isn't much time for dating. Plus there is a sequel coming so I will have to wait and see more of Izie and Riley.

Excerpt:  "Sophie nodded, she was ready. I knew I could rely on her, in difficult times she always showed great presence of mind. She was part of that category of people solid as the rock. She
hugged me with eagerness, it was a farewell.

"Good luck." she whispered in my ear.

"Remember your promise." I repeated looking her straight
in the eyes. Sophie returned my gaze, showing me that she would keep it. Knowing that Riley was safe gave me the strength to go through with it.

"Whenever you’re ready." Talia drew my attention towards her.

We checked again that no one was there and locked ourselves in one of the cabinets. Talia took us by the hand, ready to transport us. I looked down to the watch, and when the hands were in position, I nodded.

I could again feel the sensation of floating through the air, devoid from weight and shape. Time stood still for a few seconds. Dizziness came over me, rising from my stomach, I couldn’t get used to it. 
Our essences merged into one shrouded by light.

Then the braking, as if we were precipitating into a vacuum. My heart rose into my throat, and in a moment everything was over.

The stone house and the paved courtyard appeared. Sam was standing there just a few feet from the entrance, his black eyes pointed in our direction.

It all happened in the blink of an eye.

Sophie moved slightly and my body relocated as if it weighed just few ounces. At the same time, I was softly pushed towards the house while my brother was sucked in our direction. I could only feel the air rushing past our bodies. We were close for a split second, I was able to brush his arm, but Sam showed no emotion. Then we switched positions, and I stopped in the middle of the courtyard.

Matteo and Allison didn’t have time to cross the entrance door to implement the counter-act that they were certainly prepared for. Talia instantly disappeared along with Sam and Sophie. 

Now, I was alone."

Overall Opinion: Altogether I enjoyed this novel. I love astrology and was excited to read a story involving the zodiac signs. Other than a few grammatical errors I think this is a very well written novel. I give Ecliptic 4 stakes and I cannot wait until the sequel.

Get to Know the Author (From Goodreaads.com): Sara Lunardi was born and raised in the town of Genoa, Italy and now resides in London, the city provides the backdrop for much of her writing. Lunardi has a degree in Italian, Spanish, and English Literature and when not writing, she is the manager of a wellness and beauty center as well as a freelance beauty consultant for prestigious cosmetics brands. Lunardi's passion is transporting her readers into another world and providing them with a means of escape from their everyday lives. She is currently working on the second installment for the Ecliptic Saga, The Seal of Constellations which is due to be released next year.

Where to Get Your CopyAmazon 

You'll Also Like: I thought of Ecliptic to be similar to I Am Number 4 and the Lorien series by Pittacus Lore. It also deals with people who are from other planets and whose powers are beginning to awaken.

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think of Ecliptic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment about this post or whatever :)
Thanks for reading and commenting.