Thursday, July 10, 2014

Life as an English Major: Back to School Books

As some people may already know, I am currently studying English Literature in college. I chose this major because I love reading (obviously...I have a book blog), I love books and literature, and because I honestly could not imagine my life without books.

So, I decided to start a "Life as an English Major" post series just to give a little insight into my life when school starts again in August. Right now, I finally finalized my schedule for the fall semester and now have a pile of novels that I had to buy.

In the fall, my English related classes include: American Novel, Shakespeare I, and Intro to Creative Writing. I am also taking History of Theatre which counts towards my major but I'm a little nervous about because it is a theatre class, I don't know if I would have to act, and I am definitely not the most confident person in the world.

_______________________________________________

So for American Novel, I will be reading: The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
Billy Budd, Sailor, and Other Stories by Herman Melville
Charlotte Temple by Susanna Rowson
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz
Tar Baby by Toni Morrison
House of Mirth by Edith Warton

For Shakespeare I, I will only be reading Richard III with textbooks about Shakespeare filling the rest of the semester.

For History of Theatre: Lysistrata by Aristophanes
Three Theban Plays by Sophocles
Medea by Euripides
Oresteia by Aeschylus
Everyman

Also, I am taking a philosophy course titled Race, Gender, and Sexuality in which I will be reading The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren, and Ivy League Stripper by Heidi Mattson.

_______________________________________________

Wow, in my head it didn't seem like that much but now that I see all the books in a list it seems like a lot. The only other course I am taking is Biology so hopefully that won't be too much. Thank God I have my yoga class on Thursdays or I would never relax.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have a tough semester ahead, with lots of intense reading. I've read the first two books listed for "American Novel." I much prefered "Billy Budd" to "Moby Dick." I enjoyed my American Lit courses much more than I did the Brit lit courses -- though that was in part due to the professors who taught them. My writing courses were especially fun -- again in part due to the professor who taught them.

    As for your theater course, I took one in college called Play Goers, in which we did read a few plays, and study theater history, but also attended several local plays and had to produce a one-act play -- thankfully, we were not required to act, but did have to put in some hours in the university theater department, as stage crew, in costumes, etc. For the most part I liked it, and hope you enjoy your experience.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment about this post or whatever :)
Thanks for reading and commenting.