Thursday, October 9, 2014

Review: Out of Time by Donna Marie Oldfield

Title: Out of Time

Series: Out of Time #1

Author: Donna Marie Oldfield

Release Date: July 9, 2014

Description

A superhero novel 

Scarlett Shortt is just an average 18 year old until she wakes up in a strange world that is much darker than the one she knows. As she tries to discover where she is and how she got there, she’s taken in by a bunch of superheroes who claim to be her best friends. She soon learns she has powers too and the Scarlett of this reality is quite the force to be reckoned with. 
Follow Scarlett’s adventure as she struggles to master her powers and joins the group’s bid to make the world a better place. Along the way, she must battle other superpowered teens, strange robots, corrupt police and her feelings for her teammate Dylan. There's also the small matter of the power-crazed, evil Prime Minister who is desperate to capture the group and reshape the country in his own sinister image. Can they stop him? 

Out Of Time is a fun, action-packed adventure with humour and romance thrown into the mix. It is the first in a series of superhero books. 

Age: 11+

ReviewOut of Time is a great read for anyone who loves superheros or super abilities. Admittedly, I haven' t read much in this genre but I loved this novel. I loved the dichotomy of the two universes Scarlett remembers and the one she is in now. And the mystery of which one is the right universe is one that kept me reading because I really wanted to know (and hoped she wouldn't) just pop back into her old, normal life. 

I think Scarlett handled her situation very well and I liked how it was different than a lot of other characters in modern literature. Scarlett doesn't simply except what the group is telling her and just shrug and say "oh ok" when they tell her she has super powers and she has a completely different life than what she remembers. She takes time to investigate what they're telling her first before she makes a decision and even then she is a bit skeptical. I feel that this is incredibly smart .

Another thing I enjoyed about Out of Time was that everything was explained very well. It wasn't left hanging out there about why/how they had powers and why they fight the prime minister. I also liked that each of the members of Scarlett's group has a distinct personality and role. Dylan, Jay, Lucy, and Neelam are not flat and just hanging around to fill up space, they serve a purpose. I also really liked the "bad" group of teens that they occasionally fight. because it adds to the plot and makes the story seem more interesting.

I really liked Out of Time and I cannot wait to read the next in the series and the prequel. I find the group of superpowered teens to be incredibly interesting and I'm interested in seeing what happens next. Although the description does say for ages 11+, I feel that all ages can read this and enjoy because age is not a predominant factor in the novel and it is not childish in any way. I give Out of Time 4 stakes.

*Description and Cover image taken from Amazon.com

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to read this one as well and I can't wait for the second book. Really look forward to what's gonna go down next. Great review really enjoyed it, new follower.
    Matt @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment about this post or whatever :)
Thanks for reading and commenting.