Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Book Review: Bigger Than Sky by Harper Bentley


Title: Bigger Than the Sky (Serenity Point #1)
Author: Harper Bentley
Release Date: Sept 30, 2014
Find on Goodreads

Synopsis:

Five years ago, I left my fiancĂ©, hotter than hot Navy SEAL Kade Kelly, at the altar. 
No, I’m not an idiot.
Yes, I had my reasons. 
Now I’ve made a new life for myself working at a large firm in Richmond and I’ve left the past behind. Or so I thought.
Upon returning to my hometown of Serenity Point, Virginia, to take care of some business, I find that Kade’s now home for good and he’s none too happy about my being here. 
Two months. That’s all I’m staying then I’m out of here. Unless I believe the town’s pink-haired psychic’s prediction. Or embrace the sense of belonging I feel at being back home. Or give in to the emotions stirring inside when Kade's attention is suddenly on me. 
He scares the crap out of me. 
He thrills me. 
He used to tell me our love was bigger than the sky.
I always knew ours was a once-in-a-lifetime love. So how can he be so sure it can happen again?

Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

Review: 

First off, I think that Bigger Than the Sky had potential to be a great story. The synopsis sounded good and I think up to a point it was good. I usually like stories about couples getting back together after some time. However, I just did not like Kade.

I appreciated that Mill came back to Serenity Point and decided to try another relationship with Kade but I feel like in her desperation to get him back, she let a lot of things go that she really shouldn't have. Kade constantly had excuses or avoided Mill's questions and made it really hard to trust him. And then when Mill questioned whether she could trust him, he turned it back around on her. To me, that just had the markings of a very controlling and one sided relationship. I think the biggest thing that made me not like Kade was the fact that he just couldn't be honest with Mill. He wouldn't tell her what his relationship with the woman was (I forget her name and frankly she isn't worth remembering) and that really bothered me. He claims to love Mill but he can't answer simple questions and just expects her to blindly trust him.

Another thing is his speech. Kade does not use personal pronouns. I don't think NOT ONCE in the ENTIRE novel. It seems like his sentences are missing the entire beginning part. This just really irritated me and made me have to push myself to finish the book.

I guess because of the author's attempt to make Kade this mega-Alpha male, Mill is a doormat in comparison. She never really stands up for herself and the time that she does, Kade comes and rescues her. I don't believe their relationship and their love simply because I do not like them as characters. They seem flat and not believable. 

I think this story had great potential but the execution was not there. At times, it was nice story but is not memorable overall. I give Bigger Than the Sky 2 - 2.5 stakes because I feel like it wasn't completely horrible but it could have been a lot better. 


Author Info:

Harper Bentley has taught high school English for 22 years. Although she’s managed to maintain her sanity regardless of her career choice, jumping into the world of publishing her own books goes to show that she might be closer to the ledge than was previously thought.
After traveling the nation in her younger years as a military brat, having lived in Alaska, Washington State and California, she now resides in Oklahoma with her teenage daughter, two dogs and one cat, happily writing stories that she hopes her readers will enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment about this post or whatever :)
Thanks for reading and commenting.